Goldsmith Awards Program
The Goldsmith Awards Program, launched in 1991, has as its goal the encouragement of a more insightful and spirited public debate about government, politics and the press. The program includes the awarding of the following prizes:
This $25,000 investigative-reporting prize has recognized pioneering work by teams of journalists from across the country. It honors investigative reporting that best promotes more effective and ethical conduct of government, the making of public policy, or the practice of politics. Learn more.
The winner of the 2019 Goldsmith Prize for Investigative Reporting was the Dallas Morning News’ J. David McSwane and Andrew Chavez for “Pain & Profit,” an investigation into the mishandling of care for patients in Texas’ medicaid system.
The Goldsmith Book Prize is awarded to the trade and academic books that best fulfill the objective of improving democratic governance through an examination of the intersection between the media, politics and public policy. Learn more.
The Goldsmith Career Award for Excellence in Journalism is given annually for outstanding contributions to the field of journalism, and for work that has enriched our political discourse and our society. Learn more.
Financial support for the Goldsmith Awards Program is provided by an annual grant from the Goldsmith Fund of the Greenfield Foundation.
Transcripts and video recordings of the Goldsmith Award ceremonies are available below.
- 2019: Learn more and watch the video
- 2018: Learn more. Video and transcript
- 2017: Learn more; Video; Transcipt
- 2016: Learn more; Video; Transcipt of awards ceremony; Transcript of keynote speech
- 2015: Learn more; Video; Transcript
- 2014: Learn more; Video; Transcript
- 2013: Learn More; Video; Audio; Transcript
- 2012: Learn More; Video; Transcript
- 2011: Learn More; Video; Transcript
- 2010: Learn More; Video; Transcript
- 2009: Learn More; Video; Transcript
- 2008: Learn More; Video; Transcript
- 2007: Learn More; Video; Transcript
- 2006: Learn More; Video; Transcript
- 2005: Learn More; Video; Transcript
- 2004: Learn More; Video; Transcript
- 2003: Learn More; Video; Transcript
- 2002: Learn More; Video
- 2001: Learn More; Video
- 2000: Learn More; Video
- 1999: Learn More; Video
- 1998: Video
- 1997: Video
- 1996: Video
- 1995: Video
- 1994: Video